For the past week I feel like I have been chained to my sewing machine. Christmas is upon us and since I decided to take the handmade pledge the majority of presents my girls will receive on Christmas Day will be made by me. Why on earth do I do these things to myself? I must be mad but then I remember that by making everything I’m limiting the amount of plastic, unethical rubbish that enters my home. In the past few days I’ve managed to whip up a few ruffle skirts and an apron for each girl made by reducing the Layla pattern to their size. I still have more clothes to make, nightdresses, tops and trousers maybe as well as two bride dresses with veils and I crazily keep on adding to my list, someone make me STOP! I’ve also crocheted teacups and biscuits and I’m halfway though handstitching a quilt. Next year I vow to start on my Christmas making earlier, especially since I’ll have 3 girls to make for by that time, maybe I should start as soon as the New Year kicks in? Hmmm.
I’ve also managed to finish sewing up the third pair of trousers I made from the Nichola pattern. They are so comfortable that I’m thinking of making another pair in denim. I still haven’t managed to make the Lydia top and I’m not going to promise to have it done this side of Christmas or even the New Year but I did get the pattern put together and cut out ready and it hangs in my sewing room where it’s a constant reminder for me to get it done. I cleared up my sewing room on Sunday, I started after a late breakfast and it took me 5 hours! I moved everything, vacuumed, changed furniture around and put stuff away, I even did some dusting and I never do that. I’m so glad I did it though, it was far too messy in there for me to actually do anything constructive and it wasn’t particularly inspiring, i’m trying my hardest to keep it tidy. I think I must be nesting I even swept the yard today, crazy!
Anyway, I’ve worked on how I will change the Desira pattern and have come up with the solution in the picture above. I will extend the front downwards giving the hem a curve and also extend widthways into the shape you see in the drawing. I will have the ties underneath the bust and above my bump. To help keep the top wrapped over my bump I plan to add small ties to the inside side seam. I’m also going to leave off the plackets on the sleeves I think, I’m not too fond of them. Please tell me if you think it’ll work or if you have a different suggestion. I plan to make up a muslin in the next week or so to work from. Now I’m off to lock myself in my sewing room again, luckily I have downloaded a few good audio books to keep me company although I do have the odd little person wander in to ‘help Mama’ by leaving a trail of buttons, fabric scraps and pencils strewn across the floor. Ah the joys of motherhood, I wouldn’t have it any other way.