Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!


Thanks for all your comments on last weeks blog post. In the end I decided to go with the paisley fabric most of you chose and instead of the blue fabric for the piping I used brown like Kirsten suggested. I’m glad I did because I think it works much better than the blue would have.

I made a few alterations to the pattern before getting started. Since my bump starts under my bust there was no need for a yoke, instead I added the yoke pattern pieces to the skirt pieces. I then split the front skirt piece in half lengthways and extended the pieces outwards to give more room for my bump (see step 2 in my how-to for details). I also needed to lengthen the hem at the front of the dress to allow for my bump lifting it. Rather than altering the pattern I decided to leave the front fabric pieces long so I can adjust them once the dress is done and I can try it on.

I’ve really enjoyed sewing this dress and feel like I my sewing mojo has finally returned. So far I have put the dress together up to (but not including) the zipper. This is the first time I have sewn piping and I must say I’m pretty darn proud of my first attempt. It was much easier than I expected it to be due to the fact that I had Benedikta’s tutorial to show me how to make the piping and this tutorial showing me how to sew it in.

I’d say that this dress is pretty easy to make, just as long as you take your time and pin each piece precisely. This week I’ll be inserting my first ever invisible zipper but first I need to purchase the zipper and an invisible zipper foot for my machine unless I can find a way to sew it in without one?! Then it’s just a matter of inserting the sleeves, adding the lining (does it need it?) and hemming at the correct length. I’m looking forward to finishing it and being able to wear it, I’m running out of clothes that fit very fast!

There are a few finished pairs of Janina pants uploaded in the creations. I’m particularly impressed with WenStuPen’s, as far as I can tell the only alteration she made was to not add the back. She mentions that if she were to make them again she’d try the shorter version, go down a size and add the pockets. I was also impressed with Lucelu’s ability to match up the pattern of the fabric, something I often forget to do. She made a few alterations such as shortening the length, decreasing the seam allowance at the upper thighs where they meet at the crotch, decreasing the seam allowance at the waist, increased the seam allowance (graded) at center back and the center back waistband so it wouldn’t gap.

I didn’t manage to get around to making these for the sew-along but I do plan to make some, maybe adding a stretch knit band at the waistline.

We have two more weeks for the current sew-along, Shari. So, if you want to join in there’s still time.


  • 2ec794ad0aab31308b80ae690170adc92f1f5e0e_large

    Oct 26, 2007, 03.43 AMby marmota-b

    It looks wonderful! I really love the flow it has – I think you could very well wear it also after you get your “normal” figure again. :-) And it also makes me think I might be able to do the alterations I have in mind…

  • Toothbrushes_large

    Oct 24, 2007, 10.24 PMby jellybean

    That looks beautiful. I like the alterations you made. How I wish this site existed when I was growing my babies.

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post


  • Editors' Pick
  • Pattern Collections
  • BurdaStyle Academy
  • Burda Challenge
  • Backstage Report
  • Fashion & Trends
  • DIY to Try
  • Tips & Techniques
  • Member Highlights
  • Sewing Projects
  • Outta Town
  • Contests & Competitions
  • Archive
  • Guest Columns
  • Videos
  • Meg's Magazine Mash Up
  • As Seen In
  • Podcast
  • Holiday