As I looked back through my previous mash-up posts this year, I realized I have not made a pair of shorts for myself! And I found myself really embracing shorts this summer too (I usually never wear them). I looked through all the July patterns and didn’t find a shorts pattern that I really wanted to sew. I really took a liking to the Concrete Jungle collection and I loved the simplicity of the Baggy Pants. I didn’t want to make pants…so I turned them into cuffed little shorts!
A little while ago a bought this dog printed fabric. I actually found it in the “quilting” section of the fabric store, and I thought I could totally turn these into a fashionable garment. What first drew me to this fabric was the pug! I have a little pug of my own, and I am what you can call “a crazy pug lady”.
This pattern is offered in “tall” sizes 72-88, but that didn’t stop my 5’ 3" self! Ok, it really didn’t affect me at all because I was transforming them into shorts anyway and removing the majority of the length. In regualr burda sizes I am a 38, and I made these in a size 80 with little alteration.
Since I was chopping these pants down, I only assembled the top portions of the pattern PDF. The first line I drew was on the inseam, where I measured down approx. 8". I aligned my ruler touching this mark and also perpendicular to the granline. I then drew my new hemline on the front and back pieces. From this line I drew two more parallel lines 1 1/2" apart (for my integrated cuff).
I folded the pattern on these cuff lines, and used my tracing wheel to draw in the seam’s shaping.
I cut out all my pieces (note to cut all pieces with dog print facing upwards, I was not so lucky to achieve this the first time). Then I went on to sew all my darts in the pattern.
It was time for the pocket now! I laid my front pieces right side up, and stitched my pocket facings to the pocket opening. Then I press them up, and understiched the seam allowance to the pocket facing.
I then placed the pocket backing piece upwards and pinned the pocket facing around the curved edge. After I got it all aligned I sewed the pockets together and then serged the edge around.
When I was done, I pressed the pocket in place and basted down at the waistline and side seam.
Next was to stitch together the front and back crotch seams, inseam and then only the right side seam. I pinned my invisible zipper into the left side seam, and stitch it into place. I then successfully sewed the lower half of my zipper seam bump free! I am getting really good at it. I find the key is to keep your zipper foot on the machine when stitching close to the bottom of the zipper.
For the cuffs, I first serged the bottom hem edge and pressed up the 1/4" to the wrong side of the shorts. Then I pressed up again the 1 1/2" and pinned in place. I worked from the inside of the shorts to sew the cuff in place. I stitched this seam about 1/8" from the folded edge.
Once I made sure my stitches were perfect, I flipped the cuffs to the right side of the shorts so the stitching line is at the bottom on the outside. Next I pressed in place and did a few hidden and stitches at the side seams and inseams.
The pattern indicated binding at the top edge, so I thought I would give it a try. I left a bunch of binding length at each end, because I thought I would tie it in a bow when the zipper was done up.
I did this, tried on the shorts…..and hated it.
I just had to get rid of the binding. I also found they sat a little high on my waist, so the simplest solution was to just cut it off! And boy did that feel good. I serged the top waistline pressed downward, and topstitched down in place.
Now I have a perfect pair of dog shorts to go with my dog printed shoes! Check out all my project photos here.
Meg Healy is BurdaStyle.com’s Online Editor and eCommerce Manager. She has an education in fashion design and earned several awards for her technical skills in pattern making and sewing.