So glad we are finally into the month of May, and here on the East coast things are slightly warming up! My pick for this month’s mash up was pretty easy since our Wrap Blouse is dominating the best selling pattern’s list from the classic Solo in White collection. I didn’t do too many alterations to this pattern, just wanted to accentuate the wrap style, check it out.
The wrap blouse pattern is so subtle in design so I wanted to elevate it a little bit, just a bit though! I also decided to stick with the classic white for the base of the garment and then I found this printed chiffon that I cut in the outer front of the blouse to make a sort of overlay. The white cotton fabric I used has a slight stretch in it widthwise so I decided to cut a size down from what I usually sew.
I really only did one minor drafting change and that was to extend the length of the outer wrapped front layer. So I extended the outer edge down about 4" and also lengthened the one side seam of the over wrap piece. I then needed to tape extra patter paper on the back piece so that I could also lengthen the one corresponding side seam. This meant that I had to cut the front pieces separately and label them right side up or down, and then also make sure I cut the back accordingly (I may or may not have had to re-cut…opps!)
The first things to stitch were the front bust darts, and then I finished, pressed, and topstitched the outer edges of the fronts. Then I simply just placed the outer and inner fronts together and basted along the shoulder and neckline to keep them as one. Then it was time to sew the shoulder seams of the front and back together.
Once the shoulder seam were sewn I decided to sew a continuous sleeve seam, so now was the time I stitched in the sleeve and then sewed up the side seam. At this point I finished (serged) the hem and pressed the hem allowance upwards.
To finish the neck edge I stitch the short edges of the bias piece together and then sewed it into the blouse right side together matching one of the shoulder seams with the seam in the neck strip. Then I flipped the bias strip into the blouse, pressed, and topstitched into place so it wold stay in the garment. The last thing to do was stitch the sleeve hems in place.
Here it is the finished project, and I think it turned out great. I really like the one printed overlay of the blouse, and since I kept it black and white it still goes with everything! The three quarter sleeves are also nice, and great for transition weather. I liked this pattern a lot and I am thinking of sewing another but extending the edges and hem even more to make it into a dress!
Meg Healy is BurdaStyle.com’s Online Editor and eCommerce Manager. She has an education in fashion design and earned several awards for her technical skills in pattern making and sewing.