The last post was all about assembling the panels together, and in this post I sew in the combined facing, the pockets, and the zipper! Read on to see and sew along…
For my February Mash Up I’m again sewing our Safari Shift Dress which I sketched out above. I’m paneling two different fabrics together with embroidery and decorative stitching. Last week in sewing part one I sewed together all the panels and assembled the combined facing.
I placed the right side of my combined facing on the dress and pinned all in place making sure to match up the shoulder seams.
Once sewn together at my 1/2" seam allowance that I added here, I trimmed just the facing allowance to half its width and also clipped into the bases of the armhole curves.
After all my trimming, clipping and grading was complete it was time to turn this dress facing right side out! This dress has a wide enough shoulder that I was able to reach my hand in and pull the back piece through the tunnel.
I pulled through each back piece and gave the edges a good press with a lot of steam!
For my front V I went back into the seam and clipped down a little more to get a better shape.
Now that the facing was all sewed and in place it was time for the side seam pockets. I first serged the side seams and placed the pocket pieces as per the notches on the patterns and sewed in place starting and stopping 1/2" from the top and bottom.
Once all the pocket pieces (all 4) were sewn to the dress side seam I placed the pocket pouch edges together and sewed at 1/2" all the way around the close the pocket. After sewing, I serged the allowances together.
I flipped up the facings at the side seam and pinned together the side seam both above and below the pocket.
Time to sew the side seams together! I made sure not to sew my pocket closed. I backstitched at the top and bottom of the pockets to make sure they were secure and there was no little holes visible from the right side.
My pocket opening from the right side.
I then serged the bottom edges of my combined facing.
My front facing from the wrong side. I wrapped the serging tail around the point to prevent unraveling.
Now that my facing edges were finished I could install the invisible zipper. I flipped up the facing at the back neck and aligned the zipper stop with the neck seam so the zipper tape extended into the facing.
I sewed one side of the zipper and then pin matched the other so the seams would match.
Sewing the other side of my zipper using my invisible zipper foot.
Yes! Perfectly matched seams on either side of the zipper.
To finish off the facing edge at the back neck, I pressed back 1/2" and pinned to the zipper tape.
View from the right side of the front, almost done!
Here is a sneak peek of next week where I finished the hem, do all the hand stitching and hammer in those grommets. Check back next week for sewing part 3 and the final dress reveal.
If you sewed your own variation of this Safari Shift Dress pattern, make sure to upload it to the projects section and link it back to the pattern so I can include it in my reveal post.