Ultguide_webbanner_218x126

Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

Main_large

Hi BurdaStylers! I made some great progress on my embroidered shift dress for my latest Mash Up. This week I finished up all the decorative stitching and assembled the front and back dress pieces. Read on to see…

Last week I cut out my dress and tested out my decorative stitching. I’m using our Safari Shift Dress pattern from the 02/2017 issue.

Step 1

On the upper back beige pieces I decided to embroider a motif using the same thread colors as my decorative stitching.

Step 2

After the embroidery was complete I had to trim my threads!

Step 3

Next I sewed together all my back panel pieces, next up was the blue back mid section.

Step 4

I sewed together at the 1/2" seam allowance I added to the pattern.

Step 5

It is always tricky to decide which thread color to use when you are sewing two different fabric colors together. I decided to go with beige.

Step 6

On the back beige pieces that were embroidered, I did the stitching over the edges so they would line up when the pieces were sewn together with the zipper.

Step 7

I cut the threads in between to separate the pieces.

Step 8

My back dress so far!

Step 9

Once all the seams were sewn I took the allowances to the serger.

Step 10

Now for the front. I first marked my bust darts with a tracing wheel and paper.

Step 11

First is to always pin and sew the darts. I always place a cross pin at the dart tip so I know when to stop sewing.

Step 12

My sewn front darts nice and pressed downwards.

Step 13

I got the next piece to be sewn to my front bodice. I kept the pattern pieces pinned right up until I sewed them so I wouldn’t mix any up.

Step 14

Now for the blue front piece.

Step 15

Once all my front sections were sewn I serged to finish all the allowances together.

Step 16

I placed and pinned the shoulder seams right sides together.

Step 17

The sewed and pressed the seam allowance open. I didn’t finished the allowance edges since a combined facing would conceal the seam.

Step 18

I grabbed my facing pieces and cut them out of interfacing.

Step 19

The front facing piece.

Step 20

I fused the interfacing and pinned the shoulder seams together.

Step 21

After I sewed the facing seams together I again pressed the seam allowances open.

Next week I’ll sew in the combined facing as well as the inseam pockets! Sew along with me and download the pattern here

Happy Sewing!

Meg

5 Comments

  • Cotton_voile_smock_1__large

    Feb 28, 2017, 10.33 PMby avjames

    I’m getting fussy in my old age, if I’m sewing two different colours together I use two different thread colours!

  • 3a5adff36b34b4df920a0498edd1de560652fb88_large

    Feb 28, 2017, 06.40 PMby mad14kt

    Coming along wonderfully! I look forward to seeing the finished garment! FIESTA :)

  • Burdacom_logo_90_clip_large

    Feb 27, 2017, 09.27 AMby Stacyco

    Beautiful embroidery. It goes well with a fabrics :)

  • Missing

    Feb 25, 2017, 06.17 PMby LEM624

    Exciting embroidery work! I can’t wait to see it all put together! No—I mean I. Can’t. Wait. PS I’m keeping the step-by-step photos for reference and I will use them. Thanks!

  • 78955_large

    Feb 25, 2017, 08.51 AMby sergey krestov

    Good Desingn

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Departments

  • Editors' Pick
  • Pattern Collections
  • BurdaStyle Academy
  • Backstage Report
  • Fashion & Trends
  • DIY to Try
  • Tips & Techniques
  • Member Highlights
  • Sewing Projects
  • Outta Town
  • Contests & Competitions
  • Archive
  • Guest Columns
  • Videos
  • Meg's Magazine Mash Up
  • As Seen In
  • Podcast
  • Holiday Guide 2017