Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!


Hi BurdaStylers! I just finished prepping and packing for my trip to Atlanta tomorrow for The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo, so if you are in the area please stop by and say hello. I also photographed my finished dress this week and love the final result. Read on to see how I sewed my hem as well as inserted the grommets…

Last week I got a good chunk of sewing done on my Safari Dress mash up and I sewed in the combined facing, invisible zipper, as well as the in seam pockets.

Step 1

To prevent the hem from further unraveling I serged around the bottom edge. I did this as soon as I was done with the side seams and slipped on the dress for a test fit (no alterations needed)!

Step 2

I then pressed up the hem allowance up by about 3/8" all the way around.

Step 3

To sew the hem I actually switched threads when it came to the side seams. I wanted navy thread on the back blue section and beige on the front. So I backstitched and switched on either side of the side seam.

Step 4

Once the hem was sewn the dress was basically complete… expect for the front neckline lacing. I originally planned on hammering in rivets but realized they would be to small. Good thing I always have large grommets on stand by. I even still have so many left over from my Laced Designer Dress project from the Runway to Reality Look Book.

Step 5

I laid out my grommets as I wanted them placed along my V neckline.

Step 6

While they were placed how I liked them I used a fabric wax marking pen to mark the centers.

Step 7

Next was to get out my grommet tool, hammer and wood plank (stolen from my boyfriend’s wood working studio of course).

Step 8

I used a combination of my sharp fabric scissors and x-acto knife to make a cross like shape across the grommet markings.

Step 9

I pushed the grommets through the holes, placed on my tool base and inserted the backing piece on top.

Step 11

… Hammer away!

Step 10

My beautiful grommet.

Step 12

I repeated for all 6 grommets and thankfully they turned out to be secured where I wanted them. Then I laced through my rope with tassels, there was just no way those tassels would fit through the original rivets I was planning on using.

Step 13

Lastly I did all my hand stitching. I sewed the back facing along the zipper tape.

Step 14

And also secured the loose facings to the side seam allowances so everything laid flat.

Step 15

The finished lower section of my dress.


I do love my dress and the boxy loose silhouette. Really great for casual spring and summer days, it is totally comfortable and giving enough to wear all day… and then into the evening with a strapy sandal.


The embroidery really turned out better than I had hoped, and I love how all the colors of fabric and thread work together.


The lacing grommet detail really brings this dress to the next level and I can totally remove the tassel rope and lace in any thing I want. I do plan on sewing some strings from my left over fabric to lace through for a different effect. View more images of my project here!

So there you have it, my second Mash Up of 2017 complete… now what to sew from the 03/2017 issue in March. Any suggestions?

If you have sewed this pattern for yourself make sure to comment with the link to your project, I would love to see.

Happy Sewing!



  • Wp_20171105_01_35_20_pro_large

    Mar 15, 2017, 06.30 PMby nrobson

    I like it Meg! :)

    1 Reply
    • Meg_healy_burdastyle_90_90_large

      Mar 22, 2017, 05.18 PMby MegH

      I like it too :) Thank you for all your kind words.

  • Img_3596_2__large

    Mar 9, 2017, 06.13 AMby Maria Hayek

    I really like how this one turned out too, the details you added are beautiful and it looks great on you :)

    1 Reply
    • Meg_healy_burdastyle_90_90_large

      Mar 22, 2017, 05.18 PMby MegH

      Thank you so much Maria!

  • Purplefan_large

    Mar 9, 2017, 01.08 AMby purplefan

    Love the embroidery on the lower section and the finished project! Appreciate your close up of the grommet installation.

    March idea-116A cold shoulder top with embroidery but instead of the design provided, suggest you think social media emojis for the band of motifs! If the white and black tux jacket on the male model in the Marry Me section was a pattern, I’d recommend you do a woodworker’s version in snazzy denim that your man could wear for meetings or patio time with friends. And add a tool loop that could hold a can of something or a hammer or a D-ring.

    1 Reply
    • Meg_healy_burdastyle_90_90_large

      Mar 22, 2017, 05.20 PMby MegH

      I’m totally doing the 116A :D

      p.s. LOVE the idea of a snazzy denim tux, the Canadian tuxedo after all I’m sure I could find a suitable pattern since that isn’t one :(. Argh and I need patio season here to start soon!!!!


  • _49_176_72232038_20171023_094208_large

    Mar 8, 2017, 06.19 PMby annyulla

    Hello Meg,

    maybe you can turn the tunic 116 a in a tunic à la Meg.

    Viele Grüße annyulla

  • Missing

    Mar 8, 2017, 03.31 PMby ArcticFox001

    The dress turned out really lovely. To be honest, I was skeptical of the combination of elements, and sometimes machine embroidery doesn’t look great, but I’m truly impressed. You really pulled together a thoughtful, classy, and nicely fitted piece.

    1 Reply
    • Meg_healy_burdastyle_90_90_large

      Mar 22, 2017, 05.21 PMby MegH

      Thank you so much! I was skeptical of the idea as well haha!

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post


  • Editors' Pick
  • Pattern Collections
  • BurdaStyle Academy
  • Backstage Report
  • Fashion & Trends
  • DIY to Try
  • Tips & Techniques
  • Member Highlights
  • Sewing Projects
  • Outta Town
  • Contests & Competitions
  • Archive
  • Guest Columns
  • Videos
  • Meg's Magazine Mash Up
  • As Seen In
  • Podcast
  • Holiday Guide 2017