1. Where are you from and/or where do you live?I was born here in the US, but I grew up in Taiwan. I came to the US for graduate school 4 years ago, now I reside in Ithaca, NY.
2. What was the 1st thing you made? How did you start sewing?
It’s hard to recall exactly what I made first, because I started making things when I was really small. This was mainly because of my mom. She had a major interest in crafts and sewing and was a crafts teacher when I was small. We order stuff animal kits together and do sew alongs at home with her. So I would say the 1st thing I made was probably a stuffed animal of some sort, and it was all done by hand sewing. Funny thing is, I did a stuffed animal in my high school crafts course by hand sewing, and the teacher suspected that my mom had helped me sew it with machine…Should that be a good thing or bad?^^So during free time, I learned how to quilt and took on some handbag projects. Just recently, I started sewing garments because my sister left some old clothes. I did some reconstruction projects and eventually turned to sewing from patterns.
3. What role does sewing play in your life?Since I took up sewing (garments) by machine this summer, it has been a stress reliever for me that helps me relax, focus and feel accomplished.
4. What is your favorite and what is your least favorite thing about sewing?
My favorite thing about sewing is probably seeing pieces come together and form a beautiful shape, and learning some new techniques from every project. My least favorite thing about sewing is “finishing” the garment, that refers to hemming and zig zagging the edges.
5. If you could make something for anyone who would it be and what
would you make?I would probably want to make a nice dancing dress for my mom when I am more skilled. She now takes a lot of interest in dancing whether social, international or cultural, so she gets custom made dancing dresses from a local seamstress. I wish one day I can design her dress too.
6. What are you looking for on our site? What do you think should be
improved and what do you really like?I visit burdastyle for inspiration, pattern and to learn sewing techniques. The creators have an eye for style and always bring out really eye-catching patterns. Other than free patterns, the best thing of this site is the established illustrated how-tos, everyone does a great job explaining a technique they want to share, I want to thank you all! I think other than the creation uploading “bugs” that have been bugging us, what I would like to see is probably more activities such as contests that can engage members to feel involved. (and to see the results of the contests!)
7. What is your motto?Be creative and sew through life!
Learn more about PinkHibiscus and see some of her awesome creations by viewing her member profile!