1. Where are you from and/or where do you live?
I am originally from Lancaster, CA, in the desert of Southern California. I currently reside in the beautiful Northern Idaho, in the city of Moscow, with my husband. We absolutely love being among the unique combination of wheat fields and forests.
2. What was the 1st thing you made? How did you start sewing?
The first thing I made was a quilted potholder. I have been sewing ever since my grandmother taught me the basics when I was about seven. I started out sewing little, simple things, like pillows and pot holders. My mom got me started sewing clothing, and she’s always been there to help me through some of the tougher aspects of sewing. Later, I taught myself how to design and sew clothing and accessories. I also began experimenting with reconstructing vintage items as well. I have always enjoyed owning unique clothing and accessories, it’s so fun to know that nobody else has the same clothing as you.
3. What role does sewing play in your life?
I spend pretty much all of my free time at my sewing machines. No matter where I am throughout the day, I am always thinking of new designs to sew. I find inspiration everywhere I go. I carry a notebook with me at all times so that I can draw quick sketches of my ideas before they escape me. So, basically sewing is a very important part of my life.
Sewing for me is also an escape, and a way for me to relax. I am by nature a very anxious person, but when I am sewing I am at rest and peaceful.
4. What is your favorite and what is your least favorite thing about sewing?
My favorite thing about sewing is the brainstorming stage, from figuring out designs to finding the right fabric. Thinking of new ideas is the easiest part for me, my head is always overflowing with designs to try. I also love it when I am finished with a piece and try it on, that is the most rewarding experience.
My least favorite thing about sewing is cutting the fabric out. I can’t explain why I don’t like it, I just don’t. I usually have to plan to do all of the cutting in one day for the pieces I’m working on, and the sewing another day.
5. If you could make something for anyone who would it be and what would you make?
Creating clothes for my family and friends is my favorite thing to do. It is so much fun to create clothing for those you are close to, according to the unique aspects of their personalities. I have made dresses for my four sisters for their birthdays, and each one is so different and exciting. They are all so very supportive, and I love making gifts for them. I would love to make a few things for my husband soon. It will be my first venture into making men’s clothing (we’ll see how it goes).
6. What are you looking for on our site? What do you think should be improved and what do you really like?
I love having a place where I can “show and tell” my creations. I also enjoy seeing the creativity of others and being inspired to create myself. It’s awesome being able to interact with other people who sew, and giving and receiving feedback and ideas.
7. What is your motto?
– If it won’t matter in a day, a week, or even a month, it’s not worth getting upset over. (Living with this thought in mind is very helpful in stress reduction, something that I am always in desperate need of.)
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7